1. Think about what you want your site to include. You are not married to anything you choose, but it can be helpful to have an *objective* before you start to design.
2. Choose a theme. Again, you are not married to this theme. Some themes are more basic to work with (2015, Church, Virtue) and others are more complicated (Sparkle, Responsive Brix, Aldehyde).
3. Make your WordPress site static (and get rid of the Just Another SPU Commons Site site subhead)
4. Create the pages you will need to organize your site into a menu
5. Organize the pages into a menu.
6. Look at and admire your handiwork!