Week 1,2 readings

WordPress Working Group Forums General Week 1,2 readings

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rolin rolin 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lhbikos
    lhbikos
    Participant

Great choices for week 1, 2 readings.  I like the framing of the working groups via the community of practice.  It motivates me (at least a little) to join socially, rather than just grabbing the info and running.  I also like how you found short youtube clips that gave us an alternative way to experience the author and topic.  Sometimes it’s just nice to pop on my ear buds and listen while i’m in a more rested physical state.

Profile photo of lhbikos
    lhbikos
    Participant

Let me also add that when I read the reading for W2 (digital scholarship) was both excited and exhausted by the content.  Excited to think about what “impact factor” might mean in the terms of folks actually locating and consuming the work.  The *impact* might actually be more real than the # citations.  However, when I read how many sources the man used (not just peer-reviewed empirical papers) I was overwhelmed by the number of things to keep track of.

I sometimes feel this way on campus — even in this course there are a zillion ways (e.g., twitter, blogsite) to connect.  I don’t want to keep track of ONE COURSE with a bazillion scattered ways to communicate.  it feels schizophrenic.

Profile photo of rolin
    rolin
    Keymaster

Thanks, Lynette! I agree with you on the readings for Week 2; there is a whole lot out there and it can feel entirely too much. And that’s a tough point…how do you allow for multiple spaces of expression while as a teacher being able to keep it localized to some extent so you can shape but also to assess? I am glad you bring this up because we will have readings about that later on.

Personally, when I teach I try to have many spaces of communication, but if I have to assess it I keep the assessment communication localized to a certain space. That creates continuity and routine while not giving up student agency. I also have to realize I cannot be fully present everywhere at all times, so I try to choose the places that need my support rather than those that are sustaining on their own. Sometimes discussion boards take off and I can leave them be and work one on one with people, other times there is a wild Facebook page but no DB conversations.

And again, this is all about the course and what we are trying to do. I approach things differently in a creative writing course than I do as an education teacher. And if I were teaching hard sciences, I would probably approach it in a different way too. I wonder in Psychology what it looks like. Do you see the web as a good teaching space?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.