Persepolis and Beyond

1. Fadwa’s story matters because it is not a well-known story. Being female, it seems that her protest never got the attention it deserved. It is a terrible fact seeing as she was not out to make a political statement, but she set herself ablaze in agony over horrible policies that would not help her in her quest to raise her two sons. Fadwa’s name isn’t well known. There is video of her fatal protest, but no one really seems to realize exactly why she set herself ablaze. Everyone supposes it must be political in nature because of those who came before or after her, but since she is a woman, her story is never completely heard.
  2. Persepolis is an often misread publication, Dr. Segall notes. In her chapter “Media and Iran’s Forgotten Spring,” why Persepolis was banned in some areas is explored, as well as the significance of the story and the way it was taken/perceived. For instance, many places banned Persepolis

http://harvardpolitics.com/

because it showed drawn depictions of God. Some found this, as well as other content, offensive. Some were so against the book and film that a TV man’s station was attacked after his station aired the movie as part of a “political decision.” I think most interesting of all, however, is how different people tend to see the text differently, and many seem to overlook the real underlying thought and lessons of the book and rather look at the surface. Such as the veil: when Satrapi is trying to speak of the wars, unrest, and personal struggle the Iran-Iraq war brings to Iran, many seem to overlook this and see only the “oppressing veil” as the overall issue. it seems, Dr. Segall notes, that no one seems to remember “Iran’s Spring.”

3. Persepolis is a very influential book to me. This is my second read-through and I think one thing I like most of it is it’s complete honesty and female protagonist. I think that it is important to have Iran literature come from a female author. Since Iran is commonly seen as a male-dominated society, I think it is important to hear an Iranian female’s voice on the history of the area and her experience there. Of course, Persepolis is just one story, but I find it to be a very good story. Not only do you see Marjane’s struggles in Iran, but also in Europe. On top of that, she has the struggles over growing up during a very tumultuous time in Iran’s history. I value her honesty in her story, her attention to picture detail, and most of all, her grandmother’s humor.