Fadwa’s Story and Persepolis

1. Fadwa’s Story

Fadwa’s story matters because of how unnoticed it went and the way in which Bouazizi’s death was more noticed than hers. This shows the effects of societal norms and gender roles in a society. Both Bouazizi and Fadwa’s stories were acts of resistance, a protest for change in an unjust environment. Her story is also important because of the way she was rejected housing because of her state as an unwed mother. In this way, her story shows us that her situation and environment was so painful and unbearable and she wasn’t being heard, so she felt that the only way she could be heard was to make such a public protest and statement. Lastly,  her story is important because of the way the Western newscasters were portraying her. Instead of describing “…the many Moroccans who regard Fadwa with compassion, cherishing her as a national symbol of protest,”(201) the NYT story by Kristen McTighe was portrayed in a stereotypical light as an oppressed woman in a hopeless situation. This is a great example of the danger of a single story.

1. Social Loss

Dr. Segall notes in her chapter on Persepolis that the novel is a “form of public mourning” (111) especially as she loses her uncle, which affects her greatly. The image I attached is when she learns of her uncle’s death, feeling angry with God. Social loss is passed on from generation to generation. Marjane was able to hear of her grandparents’ lives and about those who were lost from her family and experience the pain even if she hadn’t experienced it firsthand. This type of emotion is really powerful and has a way to bring people, especially families, together. This bonding from loss also alters the innocence of a child as Dr. Segall notes the way that loss can be transferred “…into a political and spiritual bond of identification for a child…” (114). These events and processes really allow a child to develop a unique aspect of their story.

1. What Persepolis means to me

I really enjoyed reading Persepolis. I think my favorite aspect of the novel is how real it is. Satrapi’s story is just honest and sees no boundaries, which I think is really powerful. I had never read a graphic novel before, so this style really interested me and I think it was an effective way to tell the intense story of her experiences. The combination of images and text was an effective way to portray her experiences, as I think it helps readers to connect and put themselves in her position. For example, when I read the image attached, I was able to feel her pain and frustration for her uncle’s death. Overall, I think Persepolis is a very moving story that effectively tells of a historical account through the eyes of one individual.