Nervous Conditions and education

Tambu is having a nervous condition regarding education. She always wanted to go to school but for the longest time her mother and father would not let her go because she had to learn how to become a mother: “I complained to my mother. ‘ Baba says I do not need to be educated,’ I told her scornfully. ‘He says I must learn to be a good wife. Look at Maiguru,’ I continued, unaware how viciously. ‘She is a better wife than you!” However after her brother passed away she then was able to get that education that she always wanted. Tambu is a very smart and bright girl. With that education she will be able to get a good job. Another reason why it could be good for her to be educated is so that now men will respect her more, and she will be married to a well off man. However, it could be hard to find a man who wont be intimidated by her, so her education could be a tough thing to deal with. Because Tambu is now living at her aunt and uncles house, she sees how they act compared to her family back at home. She doesn’t want to be like them, but as time went by she started to see herself acting like them, which bothered her. Tambu dealt with a lot of tension by choosing the educational route, which caused her to have a nervous condition.

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, FL - 1983: Caribbean-American writer, poet and activist Audre Lorde lectures students at the Atlantic Center for the Arts in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Lorde was a Master Artist in Residence at the Central Florida arts center in 1983. (Photo by Robert Alexander/Archive Photos/Getty Images)

Education and writing were more seen as a masculine skill and were mastered by men, while women were expected to be stay home moms/wives and were not to touch the books. Did that stop women? No! Many women were very intelligent and influential, which persuade them to do something about it. The woman in this image represents many female writers who for many centuries have been forced to publish their own books under pen names, which were male instead of using their own. Many women feared to be casted out by their society if they were to voice their own opinions, so they had to say it through men. Writing is an art form and a way to express. To be restricted to read and write is like being without self-expression and imagination.