Lyrical Progress

wood-17

This image is of a line of cars traveling in the direction of the Woodstock music festival in 1969. I’m not going to make the argument that a song, or an artist can “change the world”, because I think social progress is influenced by economics, politics, and a bit of coincidence altogether. However, I think it’s undeniable that songs can reflect a group of people’s desires and dreams, and act as a medium through which they simultaneously consolidate and expand their beliefs.

Woodstock was a watershed moment for American culture, and world culture as well, because I think it decisively demonstrated that songs weren’t just about entertainment, that the feelings and deep emotions they evoke are powerful enough to get people thinking, moving, acting, speaking. There were many other politically active singers, writers and artists before 1969, obviously, but here the express purpose seemed to be to use music for something, as a force for good. And I think it had a great influence on the American mind, even on those who didn’t attend and those who were born long after, like myself. Music will always be recognized, by us on a grassroots level, and the government also, as a voice that can’t be taken lightly.