Response to Reading #1

2. “The journey of a researcher” does not follow a simple path. Select a quote from the preface or introduction, which considers the author’s journey, starting questions, or identification. Explain why the quote is significant.

“My obsession with cultural forms that speak in the midst of regimes and after periods of atrocity, and my particular fascination with women’s innovative incorporations of media and culture, may not be the same path that other scholars select”(Segall xviii).

The importance of this quote is to convey to readers the essential passions of the author. It allows us as an audience to understand the worldview that will be displayed to us in the text. We can more easily recognize the deeper themes the writer wants us to discover. Keeping all this in mind I am able to discern that it is important for me to pay attention to her intense desire to let the female voice be heard. However what I find more interesting personally is the author’s mention that she is going to deliver information to us that is unique compared to the texts of other scholars. This has me wondering in what other ways will she surprise us? Is it just her use of sources outside of the media? Is it her particular fondness for the female voice? If I had to predict on my own from this quote I would go into the rest of the text paying extra attention to the accounts by female witnesses. All in all this quote is essential to giving us a foundational hint as to where Segall has been and where she is going in her own personal life of discovery.

1. Preface: What stories had been “largely forgotten” by the western press, in this example? How do the highlights of the western press influence a sense of global memory/forgetting?

First of all the Western press in a way censors the way we receive information. One example is when Segall says, “Media provides a way of seeing, Oliver adds, restricting the view of corpses of soldiers and civilians, and stimulating live time coverage of war”(Segall XX). In an odd point of view the American story has been largely forgotten. The way the media leaves out the darkest parts of what we are subjecting ourselves too, as we engage in the affairs of the Middle East, leaves us with an inaccurate view of what actually goes on. The real story is that violence is a lot more severe and people are suffering more. Several more groups of people are experiencing unspeakable hardships. More people are dying and the sate of the world over there is more negative than what it broadcast. We are missing a real story and instead what we get is a clouded perception that is ultimately a more positive version of America’s involvement in these troubled areas. We will all forget that America suffered more intensely. This will have us walking away from the situations in the Middle East with a skewed mindset. This skewed mindset will result in us not fully realizing the gravity of the situations the Middle East experiences everyday. So much is distorted as a result and this is when we just get the American perspective wrongly expressed. The sad truth is that our vision of global memory is far more diluted because not only is the American story incorrect but many other stories around the world as well.

alg-protests-nyc-muslims-02-jpg