Performing Democracy-Intro

What can you infer about sacred spaces, after reading the introduction?

Sacred spaces are formed in communities when people share similar experiences and challenges despite having different religious or ethnic background. We all have multiple identities. I am Asian and American. I am a student and an employee. I am Christian but more specifically Catholic. A sacred space forms a sense of collective identity, a reminder of a shared memory we hold dear, and provides a platform for voicing out experiences for political change. Like how the Vietnamese communities sympathized with the Syrian refugees because many had grandparents who were once refugees during the Vietnam War and understands the difficulties of leaving their home country, which is why many try to encourage the government to allow refugees into the US despite the recent tragedies around the world. Or how June 5th brings in many SPU students together. Just one common experience can create strong bonds between different people showing that we are that much different from each other.

What are the images after 9-11?

After 9/11 our views on the Islamic and Middle Eastern world have been highly negative. Because of the actions of a small group of people, we automatically think Muslims are terrorists. Every time a tragic event happens we are quick to assume it must because of Muslims. We even have a biased view of gender issues. In the West we don’t hear much from the women who lives in the Middle East that are protesting for their rights. I remember how the news talked about the women in the Middle East being oppressed wearing the veils. But wearing a hijab is not always a form of oppression; some women wears the hijab for religious or self-identity purposes. Women in the Middle East are more concern about their human rights, education, health, and justice just like us. I think we are just quick to make assumptions and generalize all Muslims based on how the media has portrayed them since 9/11. We haven’t made an effort to learn more about the Middle East and its people from their point of view.