Building Resources – Scripting

By day (my practice), I am a pedagogue, a person who works with teachers and learners on matters of teaching and learning. But by night (my scholarship), I am a critical theorist, someone who studies the intersection of education, technology and culture. I am just as fascinated by developing learning mechanisms and artifacts as I am by how society interacts with dominant notions of learning, usually leading to an all-too-popular and all-too-misinformed belief that education needs fixing and that technology is that fix.

photo-5

Storyboard for 9/30 shoot with David Rither

My lens in which I write my scholarship is postmodernism, which is a tough lens because postmodernism in some ways is less of a theory and more of a rejection of other theories (namely, modernism).  Postmodernism takes issue with the idea of a universal path to progress (i.e., there is no Yellow Brick Road), seeing the universal as a dominant belief and thus one rife with politics and power.  The universal path is thus a treadmill rather than a walkway; we remain just out of reach of progress.  What makes postmodernism a theory and not a nihilist view is the idea of localization; progress is a number of contextualized and smaller yellow brick roads, varying based on the needs and attitudes of the specific cultures.  Postmodernists do not believe in Truth with a Capital T but rather truths with lowercase t’s.

It is not easy to define but it is important to understand.  As part of my scholarship speaking and presentation schedule, I am devising a video definition of Postmodernism via SPU’s THE Studio.  David Rither and I are filming a four-minute sequence to visualize postmodernism.  We will film an extra bit of information that will allow me to align this definition within education, using it in my presentations…but there will be a living *shell* of a resource for others to see how postmodernism can fit into other cultural and critical applications.

Part of my reason for developing this web presence is to compile resources, my own and others, that relate to the intersection of education, technology and culture.  This video is a start down that path.  I look forward to seeing how a web sphere can engage this kind of thinking.