CANVAS Features

Welcome Forums CANVAS Features

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of rogersl3 rogersl3 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rogersl3
    rogersl3
    Keymaster

What course settings do I have control over?
    The settings area (located in left navigation of each course) is the main area where you control your course details, sections, and navigation options.

How do I copy content from Blackboard to Canvas? (see also Canvas Guide)
    You can import content that has been exported from your Blackboard courses or from one of your Canvas courses into another. NOTE: This is not a direct translation.

How do I change my Home Page?
    You have complete control over the home page in your course. It can be one of the navigational areas, or it can be a page that you design yourself by adding text and media.

How do I add my syllabus?
    The Syllabus in Canvas provides a space for the syllabus as well as a due date list. As you enter assignments into your course, Canvas automatically builds a list at the bottom of the syllabus page in due date order. In some cases, this may replace or replicate a section of your syllabus.

How do I customize my navigation links?
    The main navigation menu, located on the left hand side of your course, is a menu of different areas within Canvas. You have the option of hiding areas and rearranging them.

What are files?
    The files area of your course is a place to upload and store files that will be distributed in your course. NOTE: Students will have access to the files are unless you hide the “Files” link in your course menu or lock individual files.

What are Pages?
    Pages are in-course web pages for placing content and educational resources that are part of your course. This is a place where you can include text, video, and links to your files or to other “pages” in your course. Pages are essentially wikis with a more usable interface. Canvas keeps the entire history of the page so you can see how it changes over time.

What are modules?
    Modules allow you to organize your content to help control the flow of your course. You can create a new module, add items to a module, or edit module items.

What are discussion boards?
    Discussion boards can be used in your course to increase interactivity between students. Discussion boards can be set up as either graded or ungraded.

What are conferences?
    Conferences are primarily used for virtual lectures, virtual office hours, and student groups. It can also be used to demonstrate technologies or troubleshoot technology issues online. For more information on conferences and how to set one up, take a look at our conferences tutorial.

What is the inbox at the top of the page and how does the messaging (Conversation) system work?
    In Canvas, the internal messaging system is called Conversations. The conversations tool provides a way for faculty and students to engage in a private conversation.
    The inbox you see at the top of the page in Canvas is where you will find all new and existing messages or conversations. You can think of this inbox in the same way as an email inbox. For more detailed information on Conversations and how they work in Canvas, take a look at our tutorial on Conversations.

If my course goes over the 500MB storage limit, can my course get more?
    Yes. You will need to request additional storage from UWB Learning Technologies.

In SpeedGrader, can you comment on plain text, .rtf, older versions of Word (.doc), or Open Office documents like you can with .docx files? Are there any issues with Macs?
    No. The annotation tools for SpeedGrader do not work on plain text (.txt), rich text (.rtf), or Open Office (.odt) files. Howver, you can still preview rich text and Open Office documents in the SpeedGrader.
    Annotation tools do work for the older versions of Word/PowerPoint/Excel (.doc/.ppt/.xls). There did not appear to be any issues with using a Mac to upload files as long as they are in these formats.
    Am I able to remove the comment function in SpeedGrader, so students can’t comment?
    No. This is a feature of the SpeedGrader.

What is the Peer Review function? How does it work?
    A peer-review assignment enables students to comment on a peer’s submitted assignment. Peer reviewers can be manually assigned or you can have Canvas automatically assign a peer reviewer to an assignment. Only those who have turned in the assignment will be assigned to be a reviewer.
    For more detailed information on Peer Review and how it works, visit our tutorial on enabling peer review. We also have a tutorial for students on using the peer review function.
    Additionally, here are a few things we have learned about the Peer Review function:
    Students can’t complete a peer review of another student until they submit their own assignment.
    Students can review more than one student. You can assign them multiple reviews either manually or by using the automatic peer selection and choosing a number more than 1.
    Peer review is not (and cannot be) built into the gradebook as an assignment, so assessing students’ peer reviews is difficult in Canvas.

Will I be able to submit my grades via Canvas?
    If you use Catalyst to submit grades, we have a video tutorial that will take you through the process of submitting finel grades from Canvas to Catalyst.

Is there a way to submit all assignment grades at one time, rather than submitting one at a time?
    Yes. You can mark an assignment as muted, which means that grade notifications and instructor comments will not be sent out until the assignment is unmuted, then proceed to grade each student’s submissions. Once you have finished grading submissions for that particular assignment, unmute the assignment and all grade notifications will be sent out to the students at once.
    This can also be done in SpeedGrader, where in the SpeedGrader interface, you can mute/unmute an assignment at the top of the page. This functions similarly as Canvas’ grading feature described above.

Can I download all assignment submissions as a zip file, or do I have to download each submission individually?
    Yes, you can download all submissions to an assignment as a zip file. In your course’s Gradebook, hover your mouse over the assignment’s title and click on the arrow. Click on “Download Submissions” in the drop-down menu. The submissions for that assignment will be consolidated into a zip file and can be downloaded to your computer. Take a look at our Canvas Gradebook Interface tutorial.

Is it possible for students to submit multiple files for an assignment?
    Yes. Students are able to submit multiple files for an assignment. All they need to do is click on the add another file link below each submission in the assignment.

Can students turn in a zip file of multiple files?
    Yes. Students can submit a zip file for an assignment. However, an instructor will not be able to preview the files in Canvas. To see the files, they must first be downloaded.

Can you download all of the zip files for a particular assignment in a similar way to how you can download individual assignments?
    Yes, you can download all zip file submissions for a particular assignment into one zip file. In your course’s Gradebook, hover your mouse over the assignment’s title and click on the arrow. Click on “Download Submissions” in the drop-down menu. The zip file submissions for that assignment will be consolidated into one zip file. Take a look at our Canvas Gradebook Interface tutorial.

What is the maximum file size for a file upload to Canvas?
    The maximum file size for a file upload to Canvas is 2 GB, this includes video uploads as well.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.

SPU Academic Commons
Skip to toolbar